Everyone in Salem qualifies for food assistance. Whether you were already receiving it, or it is new to you, we have many options to help. If you have questions or new needs for food support, you can call 781-771-0724 and a Salem Public Schools staff member will assist you.
We currently have 15 community-based sites for distribution of breakfast and lunch for all kids in Salem. This program will continue throughout the summer. Our food distribution sites also act as distribution sites for Salem Pantry one day a week and will also include a new program called Farmers to Families. This USDA supported program partners with local area farms and produce distributors to supply access to fresh fruits and vegetables to families with kids in Salem. A food assistance “cheat-sheet” will be updated soon.
Student Meals and Food Support
Starting on 9/14: In person students will be provided with breakfast and lunch while they are in the school buildings.
For our remote learners, the Food Service Department will offer breakfast and lunch to be distributed on Mondays (includes breakfast and lunch for 2 days), Wednesdays (includes breakfast and lunch for 2 days), and Fridays (includes breakfast and lunch for 3 days). Distribution will be between 3-4pm (changed from the 9-11 pickup time) at the following schools:
- Bates School – side door to the cafeteria, facing the playground
- Carlton Innovation School – main entrance
- Collins Middle School – main entrance
- Horace Mann Elementary School – second-floor entrance on the SHS side of the building, near the field
- Saltonstall – behind the school at the cafeteria entrance by the playground
- Witchcraft Elementary School – main entrance
SPS will also be delivering breakfasts and lunches on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays to:
- Loring Towers, 1000 Loring Ave., 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM
- Pequot Highlands, 12 First Street, 9:30 – 10:30 AM
- Rainbow Terrace, Loring Ave., 10:00 – 11:00 AM
- Salem Heights, 12 Pope Street, 10:00 – 11:00 AM
In addition, the Salem Food Pantry will continue to offer groceries at the following locations and times:
* Monday afternoon: Bates School, Carlton School, Saltonstall School, & Witchcraft Heights (time tbd)
* Wednesdays: Salem State University & Rainbow Terrace (10am-12pm)
* Fridays: Loring Towers, Pequot Highlands, Salem Heights (9-10 am)
* Saturdays (twice monthly): Espacio/Palmer Cove (10am-12pm)
If a family is struggling with access to meals, they should reach out to the Food Service Dept. 978-740-1230, firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com
Farmers to Families Food Boxes
THIS PROGRAM IS ON HOLD UNTIL FURTHER NOTICE
As part of the Coronavirus Farm Assistance Program, the USDA is purchasing and distributing agricultural products to those in need. USDA has partnered with regional and local distributors, whose workforce has been significantly impacted by the closure of many restaurants, hotels, and other food service entities, to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables to distribute to families. Area farms and distributors participated in a proposal process to determine program approval.
Salem Public Schools, through a partnership with approved USDA program participants Costa Produce Company, New Entry at Moraine Farms, and Boston Area Gleaners, will be distributing boxes of fresh fruits and vegetables at our school-based food distribution sites.
These locations include:
- Bates School
- Carlton Innovation School
- Collins Middle School
- Horace Mann Elementary School
- Witchcraft Elementary School
Farmers to Families food boxes will be available at the same time that our breakfast and lunch distribution is taking place, from 3:00-4:00pm.
Boxes of fresh fruits and vegetables will be offered weekly at no cost at least through June, and possibly through September, and will be available on Fridays. These boxes will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis and once they are gone, they are gone.
For more information about this program, please visit: https://www.ams.usda.gov/selling-food-to-usda/farmers-to-families-food-box
The Salem Pantry is partnering with Salem Public Schools to provide weekly grocery distribution. Please bring a photo ID and recent piece of mail with current address, as proof of Salem residence.
Salem Food Pantry is accepting specific donated food items. Please contact them directly for more information. Their most needed items include:
- Canned chicken
- Canned tuna
- Pasta (any kind)
- Dried beans
- Cereal (low-sugar, like Kix, Cheerios—under 10g sugar per serving)
- Shelf-stable milk
- Peanut butter
Groceries are limited and will be distributed on a first-come, first-served basis and will be distributed at the following locations:
- Mon: Salem Heights, Saltonstall, Bates
- Wed: Rainbow Terrace, Witchcraft Heights, Carlton
- Fri: Loring Towers, Pequot Highlands